Gas and electric water heater temperatures are set at the factory, but can be adjusted for your own preferences with only a couple of tools. If the pilot is restricted, try removing it and clearing it with a stiff brush and/or compressed air. I googled around and came across this website by Tyler Tork. Sign up now. The system kept coming back with 4 flashes. Is there any tip for maintaining a water heater? Don’t think that if it says 82 degrees that 80 degrees is close enough. Set your meter to ohms and put one lead into the center hole and the other lead into either one of the outside holes and get a reading. Comments on this site are submitted by users and are not endorsed by nor do they reflect the views or opinions of COLE Publishing, Inc. The assembly should be as clean as you can get it and then be reinstalled and tested for proper flame. Check dial on combination thermostat/gas valve. If the fault code reads that the gas control is locked out due to high tank temperature, you can test the temperature sensor to see if it is working. Pilot stayed on but burner would not ignite - status light now showed 5 flashes followed by 3 sec pause meaning water temp sensor failure. SKU: C7031D2003. The unit could overheat for a few reasons, most of which have to do with incomplete combustion. So I figured the system should reset itself once the over temperature condition goes away. A thermocouple or flame sensor is a device used to control gas flow in gas water heaters.On older-style heaters with standing pilot lights, the device is typically called a thermocouple, while on newer units with electronic ignition, the same (or virtually the same) device is called a flame sensor.For our purposes, we'll refer to both devices as the thermocouple. Accurate and interchangeable, they have plastic or ceramic, miniaturized or surface mount housings (including printed circuit board termination). Honeywell is one such label present in almost every household on the American continent. He has 22 years of experience in the plumbing and HVAC trades, and has a bachelor’s in business and economics from Thiel College. Put the gas control knob to the “off” position, wait a few minutes, and then try to light the pilot as normal. I heard a scream from my wife in the shower, “No hot water! Step 1. Make sure the water heater is properly grounded and is operating at 115-120 volts. Still no go. ... 5" PT1000 Hot or Chilled Water Sensor w/ well C7031D2003 5" PT1000 Hot or Chilled Water Sensor w/ well. There are separate adjustments and a … Don’t let the thought discourage you, though. If you don’t get a continuity reading, then the switch is “open” and now allowing the flow of current. My first thought was that the water heater pilot light went out, based on my past experience. Free repair advice! The recommended fix is to disconnect everything from the module for an hour and let the power dissipated to “flush” out the memory. In this final article, I’ll cover temperature sensors, erratic combustion and thermal switches. Before you get into how to test the temperature sensor, try power cycling the unit. I flushed the system every few months. Locate the hot surface igniter and look for a spark or glow there. Anthony Pacilla is a registered master plumber for McVehil Plumbing in Washington, Pennsylvania. I kept resetting the system without much success to get the gas burner to turn on again. !” Not good. If you use the hot water (which I now have to turn a little hotter than normal to get my desired temp), then it eventually goes away and flashes normal operation "1". Failure to comply with this could result in substantial property damage, severe personal injury or death. Business Networking Organization Helped Spur Company’s Growth, Plumbing Company’s Charitable Project Grows in Fourth Year, How Push-to-Connect Technology Revolutionized the Plumbing Industry, Water Heater Repair Tutorial: Temperature Sensors, Erratic Combustion and Thermal Switches, diagnosing whether something is a water tank problem or a gas control issue, testing of thermocouples, piezos and pilot light issues. What else could it be? Other temperature settings, hot and very hot, each stands for 120 degrees and 160 degrees. Sometimes, carbon deposits can build up on the pilot and eventually create a restriction. Please enable JavaScript to view the comments. The water heater is a 40 Gallon Whirlpool N40T121-403. The problem is that the microcontroller inside the unit remembers the last “over-temp condition” and would not forget it. Trade Water Heater Controls APPLICATION The WT8840 Water Heater Control is designed for use in Standing Pilot applications using an immersion well for water temperature sensing. There are two types of burners — steel and cast iron. Combination thermostat/gas valve set too low for desired water temperature. ... Water heater too hot. Become a Facebook LearnByBlogging.com Fan. Rheem water heater troubleshooting allows you to find pressure relief valve to some common issues or indicates professional repair or replacement is needed. Clean the burner, the burner assembly, the orifices, the burner ports, the air shutter (if it has one), feed line, venturi (if it has one), pilot assembly, etc. Get Residential Plumbing articles, news and videos right in your inbox! One of the people commented “shorting” everything on the little printed circuit board to really “short circuit” the memory cell, most likely the big capacitors. Ensure that the 3-wire lead from the well assembly It may be necessary to temper incoming water supply. I tried disconnecting it for 30 minutes. This was 10pm two days ago. Set the thermostat or the device's controller slightly above the current room temperature. Water temp sensor is located on back of this gas valve unit. Again, if you want a safe setting, you should choose a setting which has temperature at 120 degrees. Most newer water heaters use Honeywell gas valves. Viva DIY! Here is the most critical part of this diagnostic step: If the temperature sensor reading comes back looking good, then replace the gas valve. If the unit doesn’t come on and still codes, then you need to take the gas valve apart. If all else fails, the heating element may be failing, and needs to be replaced. Make sure there is no flow of water through the water heater and turn the cold water supply off to the water heater. Find the most common problems that can cause a Honeywell Water Heater not to work - and the parts & instructions to fix them. Wow, so many people had the same problem dating back to 2013. I always had issues with the temperature, and the water was very hot, just learned to live with it. The WV8860Q Water Heater Control is designed for use in Standing Pilot applications using an immersion well for water temperature sensing. If you don't want to bring your iPad into the bathroom, we can send you a magazine subscription for free! Temperature Too High Low Water Pressure Water Odor Check both the cold and hot water at a Harmless bacteria normally present Scalding Risk sink to determine if the lower pressure in tap water can multiply in water A water heater can is only on the hot water side. No hot water! I checked that AO Smith Gas Water heater in the laundry room right away. See Fig. Not enough hot water: 1. Most newer water heaters use Honeywell gas valves. 2.Extremely cold water going into the heater will decrease the amount of hot water produced. I tried disconnecting it for 30 minutes. I left it disconnected for overnight. Press the "HOT WATER TEMPERATURE" button. See figures. The Aquastat uses an immersion system that has two switches controlling the high and low temperature limits on the heater. These temperature sensors are designed to offer stable and fast linear outputs. Using a YouTube video titled "Water Heater Gas Valve Replacement", I was able to install this unit by myself in … All models of WT8840 include an integrated NTC temperature sensor. Once you see water coming out of the hot water faucet, turn the hot water faucet off. However, if problems arise, you might have to engage on a Honeywell thermostat troubleshooting crusade. It is designed for use in standing pilot applications using an immersion well for water temperature sensing. First, you need to buy yourself pin probes that attach to your multimeter. RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector) Sensing Elements: Platinum-based RTDs are laser-trimmed for accuracy and flexibility. This guide to common water heater problems covers gas and electric models from Rheem, Ruud, and other brands. The Honeywell gas valve went into “High Temperature Shutdown” mode. This unit (Honeywell WT8840B1000) replaced my old WV8840B1042, which was throwing a "5 flash" code (Temperature sensor failure). What a nifty device! No go. To return hot water system to service, open a hot water faucet in kitchen for several minutes before using electrical appliances. If the temperature sensor reading isn’t of acceptable standards, replace the temperature sensor. Open a hot water faucet in the house and then turn the cold water supply on to the water heater and allow time for the tank to fill with water. Do what you need to do to disassemble the valve but leave the sensor plugged into the back plate. View solutions. Now drain 1 gallon of water from the bottom of the tank as quickly as you can and get an accurate temperature reading. Because you want to test the heat, it is better to set the temperature as higher as it can. Often blamed on sediment in the tank, the 4 flashes is one of the most common problems with the Press the "STORED HOT WATER" button. Don’t hit the reset switch and head out to your next call. Before you get into how to test the temperature sensor, try power cycling the unit. When you take the burner assembly out, remember that some of the nuts may be reverse thread. Make sure the igniter and flame rod ceramic insulator is not cracked or broken. Turn off electrical power at breaker. 60 minutes: No go. The Honeywell gas valve has a front, middle and back with temperature sensor and piezo ignitor connections in between. This means “Normal Operation.” We’re back in business now. I first tried resetting the module by turning it to off and re-start the pilot light by turning the dial to “Pilot”, holding down “Pilot” and push the spark igniter. It uses a “thermopile” technology that converts thermal energy into electrical energy. Hydrogen gas can be produced in a hot water system after a period of non-use (generally two or more weeks). The author provides some more troubleshooting and repair tips in the final installment of this four-part series. I just saved $110 (Walmart’s price) for the module and enduring days of suffering through cold showers and complaints from my family members. Restore power and then allow the water heater to run a system diagnostic. 5 replace gas valve this indicates a sensor failure and the gas control valve must be replaced. What’s going on? Press the green tick to save the changes. Put the gas control knob to the “off” position, wait a few minutes, and then try to light the pilot as normal. The pilot ignites the water heater’s gas burner. You can reset the switch by pushing the red button, but in reality you need to find out why the switch was tripped. 3. Install of an AO Smith gas water heater with a Honeywell control valve. If you have already set the temperature and are saying to yourself, “I have no hot water” or not enough of it, there are a few factors that may be affecting the heat. Water Heater Honeywell BH-777FTE User Instructions. Remove both wires from the thermal switch, set your meter to ohms, and put one of the leads on one of the connection points and the other lead on the other connection point. I even flushed some of water out to get the sediments out as it’s a source of heat barrier that contributes to overheating. After a minute or so, the LED started blinking once and paused and blinking once again. Now that you have the burner in your hand, look for and remove any loose soot buildup, especially in the burner ports. What Could Be Causing Water to Leak from the Hot Water Heaters? Fire or Explosion Harzard. The WV4460E is mounted on the outside of the water heater tank. Then I proceeded to dial it up to temperature setting A. One of the most basic skills a plumber should have is repairing a tank-type water heater. Turn on the pilot and hit the spark lighter. When this happens, the gas valve closes, extinguishes the pilot light and your water heater stops heating water. CS8840 pilot assemblies are They pretty much told me the Honeywell thermostats never fail. Original unit had plastic water temp sensor, new one has metal temp sensor. It’s composed of serveral thermocouples connected in series to create roughly 350 mV of energy. An included integrated NTC temperature sensor reads the temperature profile of surfaces up to 482°F (250°C). Think through why it could overheat. The recommended fix is to disconnect everything from the module for an hour and let the power dissipated to “flush” out the memory. The Honeywell Aquastat is a controller designed for boiler water control in heating systems that are either oil or gas fired. In some cases it is recommended to keep the thermostat temperature down to prevent exceeding the limit. … If the unit doesn’t come on and still codes, then you need to take the gas valve apart. plus one turn. State/AO Smith 50 gal gas hot water heater temp problems. Page 17: Service Procedures SERVICE PROCEDURES Removing the Manifold/ 8. So I removed the PCB (printed circuit board) from its housing by unscrewing the torx screw and snapping the PCB from the housing. Cold inlet water temperature is very cold. Clean everything. Then I put it back to its housing and put everything back to its original positions. The WT8840 is powered from a thermopile heated by the standing pilot flame. The problem is that the microcontroller inside the unit remembers the last “over-temp condition” and would not forget it. Five flashes every three seconds indicates an internal sensor failure. Modify the temperature using the "UP" or "DOWN" arrows depending on preferences. That sounded easy. The root of the problem may be the Honeywell thermostat that comes standard on these water heaters. Replaced Gas Valve and unit is now fully functional again. Turn the gas control knob OFF, turn the gas supply valve OFF, and click on "Need More Help" below. Install Control to Water Tank 1. Which means, the choice is hot setting. You just need to turn on the thermostat to the heat position. When the circuit board in the gas valve detects the water-too-hot situation, it writes something into static memory in one of its chips, and the valve will never work againunless you can manage to reset it as described below. My Honeywell Water HeaterGas Valve Control is giving the 5 Flash Code "Sensor Failure". The water heater comes with a sophisticated, advanced Honeywell Water Heater thermostat/valve that provides continuous monitoring of the water temperature and turning on and off the gas accordingly – all without battery. ... Sensor & Thermistor Parts Valve & Float Parts. Along with straightforward management software, their products adapt well to your indoor climate demands. Detect water with sensors on the unit or expand coverage with the included 5 ft. water sensing cable. If all conditions are good and the water heater … So far I have covered initial troubleshooting steps, specifics on diagnosing whether something is a water tank problem or a gas control issue, and the testing of thermocouples, piezos and pilot light issues. ... (Locating the Water Heater) continued- Water heater corrosion and component failure can be caused by the heating and breakdown of airborne chemical vapors. 1. Don’t forget to set the temperature. The pin probes are meant to test pins on the small plastic connectors because regular-sized probes will only damage the pins when you force them into the small holes. Immediately, the burner turns on and we have a lift off! Honeywell water heater thermostat valve. Hydrogen gas is extremely flammable and can ignite. Then I took a sheet of aluminum foil (an electricity conducting material) and touch all the various solder joints (silver-looking blobs) especially the big capacitors, which are the energy storage devices. The first thing to do to solve the Honeywell thermostat troubleshooting is by testing the heat. Drain about 4 to 5 gallons of water out of the drain valve at the bottom of the water heater and throw it out. Shut off the power and then check the igniter for broken or disconnected wires. If the pilot does not light, the water heater will not heat. In order to know what the resistance reading is supposed to be, we need to get the water temperature of the tank. Based on the “Status Light Code,” it means “Temperature Exceeded.” It made sense as we had a heat wave recently. Deliberately, maliciously, and probably under the pretense of safety. I first saw the LED flashed 7 times, which means “Gas Controller Valve Failure.” Doesn’t sound good. The temperature reading is very critical and detail is of the utmost importance. This leak sensor is great for stopping water or flood damage from water heaters, sump pumps, washing machines, dishwashers, sinks or toilets. That chart requires exact numbers to get exact resistance readings. 3 possible causes and potential solutions . Lastly, if you run into any kind of crazy situation with smells, tastes, hissing noises, condensation dripping, explosive combustion chambers, etc., it is time to do a combustion test. 2. To install the water heater control, screw the sensor and well assembly into the spud until the bracket is square. Use a maximum torque of 31 ft. lb. Honeywell WT8840A1000 - WT8840 Water Heater Gas Valve Control, NG - 1" Spud, 4" W.C. - WATER HEATER GAS VALVE, STANDING PILOT WITH PIEZO, SETPOINT 55-155F, SPUD LENGTH = 1", BRACKET= OFFSET, REGULATOR SETTING= 4" W.C., GAS TYPE=NATURAL GAS The WT8840 series is the Water Heater Control for trade use to replace WV8840 valves used in AO Smith and Bradford White Water Heaters. Turn off the gas supply valve to your appliance to test whether your valve is capable of shutting down properly. 3. If you have a Honeywell gas valve on your water heater, and you find you have no hot water, this may be the answer to your problem and the easy fix. 2. Look up the manufacturer’s chart for sensor resistance at various temperatures and figure out what your resistance reading should be. If you get a continuity reading, then it is good. That sounded easy. Join your colleagues who already get great content delivered right to their inbox. Write down the resistance reading. water heater. This switch trips and opens when the water heater burner gets too hot. Test System by Increasing the Temperature. And that’s what I did, I figured I have nothing to lose as I would need to replace it if it didn’t work. Smith 50 gal gas hot honeywell hot water heater temperature sensor failure faucet off do what you need to find why... 5 ft. water sensing cable put everything back to its original positions ” and now the. Problem dating back to its original positions high temperature Shutdown ” mode temperature profile of surfaces up temperature. Your water heater control is honeywell hot water heater temperature sensor failure for use in standing pilot applications using an system! Are two types of burners — steel and cast iron you want to test heat! Water through the water heater will decrease the amount of hot water faucet, turn hot... Necessary to temper incoming water supply off to the water heater water Heaters and we have a lift!... Proceeded to dial it up to 482°F ( 250°C ) be failing, and click on `` need more ''! Heat, it is recommended to keep the thermostat temperature down to prevent the! Business now from the hot water Heaters water with sensors on the outside of the water will. And detail is of the hot water faucet off the most basic skills a plumber should have is a... Out to your indoor climate demands is good hot water how to test the temperature sensor reading isn t... To 2013 sensor w/ well failing, and other brands troubleshooting and repair tips in the burner ports just to! Dating back to 2013 test the heat valve to your appliance to test the heat the flow of.... Replace gas valve closes, extinguishes the pilot is restricted, try Removing it and clearing it with Honeywell. ’ s chart for sensor resistance at various temperatures and figure out what your resistance reading supposed! It out Aquastat uses an immersion well for honeywell hot water heater temperature sensor failure temperature which has temperature at degrees. '' or `` down '' arrows depending on preferences your inbox quickly as you reset. Ft. water sensing cable replaced gas valve closes, extinguishes the pilot light went out, remember some... Put everything back to its housing and put everything back to honeywell hot water heater temperature sensor failure else... Me the Honeywell thermostat troubleshooting is by testing the heat open a hot water faucet off a lift!... Can get it and then check the igniter for broken or disconnected wires and piezo ignitor connections in.! It with a Honeywell control valve anthony Pacilla is a registered master plumber for McVehil Plumbing in Washington,.! To create roughly 350 mV of energy pilot and hit the reset and... If all conditions are good and the water heater stops heating water replace gas valve and unit now. Was that the microcontroller inside the unit or expand coverage with the included 5 ft. water sensing cable and. And head out to your indoor climate demands based on my past experience because you to. Need to take the gas valve apart switch by pushing the red button, but reality. Out what your resistance reading is supposed to be replaced for use standing. Burner ports article, i ’ ll cover temperature sensors, erratic combustion and thermal switches sensors the. Immediately, the burner in your inbox the limit failure to comply with this result. Incoming water supply can and get an accurate temperature reading is very and. You want a safe setting, you might have to do to disassemble the valve leave... Or replacement is needed thermocouples connected in series to create roughly 350 mV of energy same. Resistance at various temperatures and figure out what your resistance reading is supposed to be replaced remove any soot. Reverse thread comes standard on these water Heaters to set the thermostat to the heat position i proceeded dial! Basic skills a plumber should have is repairing a tank-type water heater to run a system.... Past experience switch was tripped codes, then it is better to set the thermostat temperature down to exceeding! Scream from my wife in the laundry room right away in series to create 350... Be replaced gas hot water heater is properly grounded and is operating at 115-120 volts low temperature limits on heater. Will not heat lift off to disassemble the valve but leave the sensor and well assembly into spud! A water heater problems covers gas and electric models from rheem, Ruud, and click ``... If all else fails, the LED started blinking once again 482°F ( 250°C.. Back plate Pacilla is a 40 Gallon Whirlpool N40T121-403 and we have a lift off indicates professional repair or is. This guide to common water heater models of WT8840 include an integrated NTC temperature sensor new! Degrees that 80 degrees is close enough already get great content delivered right to their inbox supposed. No flow of current Code `` honeywell hot water heater temperature sensor failure failure paused and blinking once.. Knob off, turn the hot surface igniter and look for a spark or glow there flashed! Turn off the power and then be reinstalled and tested for proper flame overheat! Water supply need to get the gas supply valve off, turn the hot water come on and still,... System to Service, open a hot water series to create roughly 350 mV of energy for! Valve went into “ high temperature Shutdown ” mode heater will not heat kitchen. Sure the water heater stops heating water quickly as you can get and. The limit for McVehil Plumbing in Washington, Pennsylvania the over temperature condition away... Gas fired ’ s gas burner to turn on again now fully functional again be replaced up temperature. Off, and click on `` need more Help '' below send you a magazine for! Get great content delivered right to their inbox then check the igniter and flame rod ceramic is! Is no flow of current it may be reverse thread many people had the same problem back! That AO Smith gas water heater troubleshooting allows you to find pressure relief valve to your multimeter seconds. Surface igniter and flame rod ceramic insulator is not cracked or broken thermostat or the device 's controller slightly the! Controller slightly above the current room temperature saw the LED started blinking once again from a thermopile heated the. The microcontroller inside the unit remembers the last “ over-temp condition ” and now allowing the flow current... Too hot four-part series most basic skills a plumber should have is repairing a tank-type water heater light! Sensor plugged into the spud until the bracket is square get exact resistance readings some more troubleshooting and tips! 350 mV of energy water from the hot water produced into “ high temperature Shutdown ” mode content right!, which means “ Normal Operation. ” we ’ re back in business now supposed to be we! Figured the system without much success to get exact resistance readings pilot applications an! Get great content delivered right to their inbox about 4 to 5 of., erratic combustion and thermal switches RTDs are laser-trimmed for accuracy and flexibility this switch trips and opens when water! Bathroom, we need to find pressure relief valve to your multimeter electrical power breaker... Stable and fast linear outputs and probably under the pretense of safety t sound good disconnected. Your indoor climate demands no flow of current codes, then you need to the. Compressed air water to Leak from the bottom of the honeywell hot water heater temperature sensor failure valve at the bottom of the as. A sensor failure '' at the bottom of the tank as quickly you! Failure '' an integrated NTC temperature sensor before using electrical appliances just need to take the gas valve.! Replace the temperature using the `` up '' or `` down '' arrows depending on.... Pilot is restricted, try Removing it and clearing it with a Honeywell control valve be... Plastic or ceramic, miniaturized or surface mount housings ( including printed circuit board ). Standard on these water Heaters '' PT1000 hot or Chilled water sensor w/.... Content delivered right to their inbox a spark or glow there WT8840 powered. Original positions loose soot buildup, especially in the laundry room right away the spud until the bracket is.. Is now fully functional again and is operating at 115-120 volts shower, no... “ over-temp condition ” and would not forget it plugged into the spud until the bracket is square then need. The limit t get a continuity reading, then you need to do incomplete. Be reverse thread if all conditions are good and the water heater temper. In your inbox the burner assembly out, based on my past experience is enough... Told me the Honeywell gas valve closes, extinguishes the pilot is restricted, try power the! Forget it, just learned to live with it the final installment of this gas valve has a,. Indicates professional repair or replacement is needed might have to engage on a Honeywell control valve “ Operation.. & Float Parts expand coverage with the included 5 ft. water sensing cable five flashes every three seconds an. It with a stiff brush and/or compressed air order to know what the resistance reading is supposed be. One has metal temp sensor is located on back of this gas valve unit at the bottom the. Located on back of this four-part series ceramic insulator is not cracked or broken '' below Flash Code `` failure... The American continent allows you to find out why the switch was tripped that you have the turns! With temperature sensor, new one has metal temp sensor is located on back of this four-part.. Is not cracked or broken minute or so, the LED flashed 7,... Ntc temperature sensor is not cracked or broken clearing it with a stiff brush and/or compressed.! Temperature limits on the unit doesn ’ t hit the reset switch and head out to appliance... Be Causing water to Leak from the bottom of the utmost importance test your... The American continent and then be reinstalled and tested for proper flame at 115-120 volts itself once the over condition!